"I want to start a Missional Community, but I don't know what the mission should be..."
People who desire to love their community in the name of Jesus in the context of a Missional Community often voice this concern. Sometimes the desire to start a Missional Community shows up before direction towards a mission does.
If that's you right now, this list may help.
78 Missional Community Missions:
This list is complied from real life examples of Missional Communities* (some from Mill City), and things God cares about in our city that a Missional Community could respond to:
This list is by no means exhaustive, 78 is an arbitrary number, and I hope you can contribute to the list by commenting.
Also, its extremely important to note many missional communities may be neighborhood focused. This list focues on "network" based missions for Missional Communities. So this list is mostly for people discerning a mission that is not a neighborhood.
A Missional Community's mission could be loving (or advocating for)...
- Victims of domestic violence
- Kids in foster care
- The Ballet community
- The arts community
- Social enterprise
- People experiencing homelessness
- The neighborhood around you
- Victims of human trafficking
- Men or Women caught in sexual addiction
- Empowering communities in developing countries
- Intercultural relationships
- Improv comedy! Not kidding
- Video gamer community
- Micro brew community
- Environmental issues
- Clean water in developing countries
- Transitional housing for people experiencing homelessness
- Job training
- Purposeful work
- Business world
- Single moms
- Deaf Community
- Urban youth
- Food insecurity
- Health and nutrition in developing communities
- Health and nutrition for families and kids
- Interfaith dialogue
- Refuge populations
- Crime prevention
- The retired community, senior living
- Education reform
- College Students
- A specific college campus
- Father's and the fatherless
- The Nurses community/medical industry
- Radical community living
- Teenage girls
- Teenage boys
- Short films, videography
- Freelance community
- Pregnancy Support
- Asian community
- Reaching communities through street theater
- Juvenile corrections ministry
- Racial reconciliation
- Individuals with disabilities
- Children on the autism spectrum
- Grief support
- Bar community
- Counseling services
- Community Gardening
- Community Sharing programs
- Victims of sexual abuse
- Construction // Building groups
- Industry specific work collectives
- People who work downtown
- Outdoor rec
- Car repair
- Financial stewardship
- Freedom from substance abuse
What else? Keep the list going if you have ideas, just offer it in the comment section
Let the missional imagination begin!
If you would like to flesh out one or more of these ideas as you consider starting a missional community, Pastor Stephanie and I are eager to do that with you. Please contact us.
*Some of these examples come from The Underground in Tampa Bay Florida.