Jesus is leading Mill City Church, and as we've been discerning his leadership, four mission priorities have emerged for 2017:
- Gospel and Neighbor: expressing the gospel intentionally with our neighbors
- Gospel and Race: Seeking racial justice and reconciliation in our city, and building relationships across race and culture.
- God@Work: Collaborating with God in our vocations
- Engaging with the Marginalized: Participating with God on the margin.
By making these missional priorities we hope for each of them to be areas in which God grows the capacity of our church. We see this as something that's integral to our mission to Love our community in the name of Jesus.
We invite you to consider making one of these priorities a priority for you in your life this year. We want to help you grow in one or more of these areas by connecting you with a community on the same journey and keeping you up to date on resources and events related to your priority of interest. Sign up to get notifications about resources and events:
We explored each of these priorities briefly in our sermon series Mission Priorities
Gospel and Neighbor
- Read: Romans 1-6
- Join: A Neighborhood Club. OHOH Missional community (focused on hospitality with neighbors)
- Try: Asking and neighbor to tell you their spiritual history.
- Pray: God gives you a chance to share the gospel with a neighbor.
Gospel and Race
Read:Acts 10, Disunity in Christ - by Christina Cleveland, America's Original Sin by Jim Wallis.
- Join: One of the following Missional Communities:
Action and Awareness - Joining God in pursuing racial and economic justice in our city.
Ren - Loving Chinese Students at the U of M in the name of Jesus.
Nuestro Puente - Building bridges with those in the Latino community in the name of Jesus.Refugee MC - Loving a Somali refugee family in the name of Jesus.
- Try: Taking the free Implicit Bias Test.
- Pray: For God’s leadership in building relationships with people different than you and advocating when you witness racism.
- Read: Kingdom Calling: Vocational Stewardship for the common good by Dr. Amy Sherman
- Join: Sunday Conversation on Feb 12 discussing starting a faith and work focused missional community. Email Pastor JD for info ( )
Try:Vocational Power Assessment. Gathering people in your industry together. The Mill City Coworking space.
- Pray: the God@Work daily prayer:
"God, may your power and presence go before me and with me in the work you have called me to do. May I have eyes to see and ears to hear what you are doing in my work today. " - The God@work Prayer
Engaging with the Marginalized
- Read: Helping Without Hurting (14-day Bible Reading plan on the YouVersion Bible App)
Join:Any of the following Missional Communities: Action and Awareness, Devoted, Nuestro Puente, Rén, Restore Community, Refugee MC.
- Try: Eating at Hope Avenue on a 3rd Sunday of the Month
- Pray: God would help you see people on the margins.