(click play to listen to this post read to you)
Our goal as pastors and staff is to equip you as you follow Jesus!
Consider these Equipping Opportunities and SIGN UP:
Covenant In Real Life – Saturday, April 22nd 9am-12pm – Yearly check in for couples in any stage of their relationship – sign up and learn more here.
Creative Evangelism – Sunday, April 23rd 3-6pm – Learn creative ways to talk about Jesus – sign up and learn more here.
Reflecting on Loss While Moving Forward – Sunday, May 7th 12:30-1:30pm – Come to share and reflect on our recent church transition – sign up and learn more here.
Launching Missional Communities – Sunday, May 7th 2-4pm – Learn about these groups with a purpose and how you might be a part of it this Fall – Sign up and learn more here.
SERMON SERIES RESOURCES:
Last Sunday we began a new series called “What God is Like”. It is based off of Exodus 34:6 where God gives a description of God’s character:
6And he passed in front of Moses, proclaiming, “The Lord, the Lord, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness.”
You can listen to the first sermon here: What God Is Like Sermon 1
These 5 descriptions of God’s character reveal to us who God has been, is and will be!
- Slow to Anger
- Abounding in Love
We see throughout the metanarrative (story of the Bible) these aspects of God’s character in the stories told, and we see all of these character attributes in Jesus – God in the flesh.
Since we are made in God’s image, and we desire to live like Jesus – we too should reflect these same character traits. Because of the brokenness in the world and our lives we often fall short of these 5 character markers. Those aren’t the 5 words most people would use to describe the church.
But wouldn’t it be amazing if Jesus followers WERE known as “compassionate, gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithful?”
The good news is that the empowerment of the Holy Spirit we can receive God’s compassion, grace and love and then be empowered to be more compassionate, gracious, loving and faithful ourselves!
First we receive from God and then we are able to reflect God’s character to the world around us.
Every Monday in this series we will have a list of “going deeper” resources as well as a small group or one on one outline for putting the sermon into practice. See below.
PRAXIS GATHERINGS – We are also going to have a gathering time for all ages every Wednesday from 6:30-8pm at the church 4/19 4/26 5/3 5/10 5/17 5/24
This is a time to put into practice what we are learning from scripture each week. There will be a discussion and then a spiritual practice to do together. You can join any week you are able – no need to sign up, just come to door 3 at the church by 6:30pm any Wednesday.
All ages are invited to come! Mill City Youth group will be engaging the same topic and there will be space for Elementary kids to participate and a childcare option for little kids.
*no dinner provided but feel free to bring your own
GOING DEEPER IN STUDY:
- Bible Project Video Shown on Sunday
- Podcast from Bible Project Part 1
- Podcast from Bible Project Part 2
- Notes on Scripture in Exodus 34
GOING DEEPER IN A GROUP OR WITH A PARTNER:
- Opening “Community Time” Question – Share a high and a low from the week.
- Get paper and a pen for this next time of reflection
- Watch 6 Minute Bible Project Video
- Take time to read Exodus 34:6-7 aloud together and then write down the passage, each in your own handwriting. Then write it again using your own words.
- Notice the way Exodus 34:7 begins the way it ends. How does God’s loyal love relate to his justice?
- Underline the five characteristics of God named in verse 6 and then circle repeated words and concepts that we notice in verses 6-7 What do you observe about the repetitions and structure?
- Take time to discuss other themes, questions, or key takeaways from what you learned together.
- Spiritual Practices
- Close in prayer for each other to receive God’s compassion, grace, patience, love and faithfulness in your lives.